As many motorists are well aware, today’s “high tech” motor cars have special needs when it comes to coolants. One of the most common questions asked is “is it really necessary to use the green stuff (corrosion inhibitor)? We never used to…”
The answer is yes, for many reasons. Today’s engines are more powerful yet have less metal to soak up the extra heat created by having more power. Add this to your car’s radiator which is not only smaller than those of yesteryear but also made of lighter, more delicate materials such as aluminum and plastic. So not only is it important to use coolant additives but more so it’s important to maintain the correct chemical ratio ie: amount of inhibitor per litre of water.
Of course, if you have been having your car serviced at Blackburn Automotive Repairs you don’t have to worry about the complexity of it all. We have been doing it for you…yes, each time your car is serviced we chemically test the contents of your radiator, adjust the level of inhibitor in the system and report cases where a complete clean and flush of the system is required. If you are at all unsure of any queries regarding your vehicle’s cooling system please don’t hesitate to call and speak with our qualified staff. We will be happy to help you.
Tips for keeping your vehicle’s cooling system performing at its best:
- Don’t remove your car’s radiator cap while the system is hot or even lukewarm
- Do wait for an experienced person to help or wait until the system is cold
- Don’t mix coolants; different brands have chemicals that could cause more problems if mixed
- Do find out exactly what is in your car’s system before adding to it
- Don’t just add inhibitor and think it will be okay. Too much is just as bad as not enough
- Do, whenever possible, add a mixture of water & inhibitor that has been pre mixed to suit your vehicle